Monday, March 29, 2010

does this diaper make my butt look big??

Artist P. Byrnes featured a cartoon in the March 2000 issue of the New Yorker. The cartoon is of a baby looking into a mirror thinking ‘this diaper makes my butt look big…’ Hmm, does this innocent child truly feel his butt looks big? Did someone tell him his butt looked big? Maybe I'm overreacting, but I was really taken back by the image, and I got pissed.

Now that I am a mother, image has been something that I am concerned about for my daughter. It started before she was born. I ensured I got the best stroller, diaper bag, crib, and diapers. Then when she was born, I only dressed her in brand name clothes and made sure everything matched and her hair was done. I raised my nose at those who bought store named diapers and clothes. Why? Because I am conceited? No, but because I feel that how she looks is a reflection of the type of person I am and is a reflection of me. Making sure she is put together in public shows that I have the time to dress her and do her hair, a reflection that I am a good mom. Right? 
Am I that concerned with what other people think? 

Kids & Image
From babies to kids, there are tons and tons of toys for kids nowadays. From talking Dora dolls to Bratz dolls. What are Bratz dolls? Let me paint a picture: a little shorter than a Barbie, a face overtaken with large lips and eyes. Lips gleaming with pink lipstick and eyes drunken with eye shadow, eyeliner, fake eyelashes, and mascara. Bleach blonde hair all the way down their back. A tight fitting neon strapless dress with a belt at the waist and stiletto heels...maybe Jimmy Choo? Are you kidding me? These nasty lil dolls are NOT allowed in my home. Period.
Parents purchase these ridiculous dolls without knowing the underlying results behind it. Girls who own these dolls often want to be like them. What image are the manufactures sending with dressing these dolls in these provocative get-ups? What are parents telling their children when they want a ‘sexy’ dress and hair extensions and makeup? Where is the line drawn? And when did growing up stop being fun and start being scary?

Ask young girls who their role models are and I doubt they’ll say Harriet Tubman or Joan of Arc. Instead they’ll say they want to grow up to be Britney Spears. The Britney Spears who dresses provocatively and grinds left and right? 
Why has society accepted these rump-shaking girls as role models?


2 comments:

  1. Alex,I see that we share the same beliefs when it comes to the dolls that heavily invade the toy section and tv. My daughter knows that we will not be buying any Bratz Dolls! She will ask for them and I try to explain to her why she can not have one. At 4 I don't think she really understands, but I try to explain it to her anyway. Some mothers think they are cute and it's just a doll. No, it is more that that. i do not want my daughter seeing that image and thinking that is the way she is suppose to look and that is what society considers beauty. I want her to learn the true strenghts and beauties of being a woman and it certainly is not a neon yellow mini skirt and thigh high boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your story Qiana. Alot of parents assume its not a big deal, but it really is. But it starts with the parents, we have to teach our sons and daughters morals and values, right from wrong, slutty from classy. It's not easy, but so beneficial for our children.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!