Thursday, December 22, 2011

What we can learn from the Grinch

“And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"


My daughter and I have already watched the Grinch (the original & Jim Carrey’s version) about six or seven times already this December. I think there is much to be learned from the Grinch’s story and Cindy Loo Hoo, who despite the community’s fear and disgust with the Grinch, decided that he wasn’t so different from them all after all.

I love the passage above the most from the book, for me it’s a friendly reminder of what the holidays, and Christmas is all about. As a young professional and single mother, the holidays are extremely stressful and I worry about money and being able to get my daughter a few nice things. And then there are my nieces. And my sisters. And my Mom. And my co-workers. And a few close friends. Ahhh!! It’s overwhelming because I like to give meaningful nice gifts to those I care about…and they often carry hefty price tags. And every year I end up in debt over the holidays, regardless of the budget I create for myself. It’s easy to get caught up in the holidays, and I’m guilty of forgetting what the holidays really mean to me and my family. My daughter and I spend Christmas Eve and Christmas together, just the two of us, making cookies and watching movies, and dancing of course. And it’s those moments: setting out cookies and milk for Santa, and when I tuck her in to bed Christmas Eve night that reminds me of what Christmas is all about.

I often doubt my ability to provide for all my daughter’s needs and wants being a single mom. I’m spread t-h-i-n and I have to sacrifice on a daily basis. Christmas isn’t about the gifts; it isn’t about shopping till I drop. It’s about the memories, it’s about love. Under the tree will be full, heck my whole house will be full of Christmas spirit this year because I am blessed; I have a beautiful, happy, kind, healthy child who I am crazy about. She inspires me, she makes me laugh, and she may be the wisest person I know. She is my gift every single day. And that’s not something you can buy in a store.



Happy Holidays from our hearts to yours