Monday, November 29, 2010

You don’t have to be perfect to be a perfect parent

In case you didn't know, November is National Adoption Month and my newest blog post over on The Pushback outlines the grave statistics regarding children in foster care waiting for adoption and my personal struggle with adoption when I was pregnant. It may seem a bit odd to merge talking about youth in foster care and my personal story, but the theme of this month's National adoption month really stood out to me, "you dont have to be perfect to be a perfect story."

So in honor of National Adoption Month, I’d like to say to all of you considering becoming a foster parent, you don’t have to be perfect to be a parent. There are thousands of children waiting adoption in Massachusetts who need people to love them and a place to call home.

Besides my experience considering adoption when I was pregnant, adoption has affected my family. My Mother was adopted when she was a child by my wonderful loving Grandparents. When I hear my Mom talk about her journey through adoption it breaks my heart, it saddens and frustrates me that all children don't have parents to call Mom or Dad. Saddens me that they may live their life getting lost in the system and never find a home. Due to my Mother being adopted, during the course of my childhood she became a foster parent and fostered a total of 6 children. They became family. This is addition to the 4 children she already had. Talk about an Angel. Becoming a foster parent is something that I saw my Mother do effortlessly and selflessly and something that I hope to be able to do in the future. 


So please stop by The Pushback and check out my newest post!


Happy Monday


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and your mom truly is an Angel.. I'm sure you are very proud of her. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin was adopted and she has been a rich addition to our family. My brother-n-law was adopted and he recently joined The Navy to serve our country. I am soooo for adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story! Thanks so much for sharing, I agree with you on how frustrating it is that every child can't experience having a loving family. I'm so happy that you shared a light on the beautiful gift of adoption:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!