Monday, July 11, 2011

Babysitter = Stranger = Panic Attack

If you follow the blog, you may know that I don’t have a tight support system. Sorta just me, myself, and my divalicious daughter. It’s been hard to accept, and at times I get down, but at the end of the day it is what it is and we are family and I’m so lucky to have her.

Everyone who knows me knows that I live, breathe, eat, and sleep being a Mother. She is my life. For real. It definitely gets overwhelming not having any support, and I sometimes think I’m over my head, but I somehow manage to pull it all together. I've considered hiring an occasional babysitter to come to our home once a week for a few hours in the evenings to watch lil mama so I can go for a run or go to the library. Yes, you heard that right, I don’t want to hit the town or socialize, I want to be boring. Don’t judge.

But, honestly, the thought of a stranger caring for lil mama makes me have an asthma and panic attack all in one with a side of hives. Yes, call me paranoid, call me dramatic, but I get n-e-r-v-o-u-s. I’ve gotten some responses, and if I think there is potential I google/facebook/myspace their name or email. Not kidding. Any inappropriate pictures or language or funny smile and I hit the SPAM button with the quickness, cause homie don’t play that. The protective Mom inside me wants a complete background check, fingerprints, need to see if they’ve been arrested. Not kidding. Sigh. And then what they charge an hour! I mine as well just stay my butt home!! Oh well, it was a good thought, but this process has reaffirmed my thoughts that I’m not ready to hire a stranger to come in my home to watch my daughter.

Have you hired a babysitter before? Would you hire a babysitter? If you have, how have you calmed uneasy nerves about a stranger watching your child(ren)? Am I overreacting?