Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This Isn't Just For Colored Girls...

When I saw the previews for For Colored Girls I knew it was a movie I had to see. So along with 2 girlfriends we went to see the movie on opening night. It was great to see the packed theatre and all the support for the film and amazing cast. I started crying about 20minutes into the movie. And by the end my eyes were red and puffy. Its like I was hit by a train. The movie didn't just move it. It dragged me. It swung me. It threw me down in the dirt, and make me take a look at myself. At those around me. At the secrets that I am carrying around, and I wrote this shortly after seeing the film"

Do our secrets define us? 
Shape us, make us. Break us?
We all have secrets.
Let them unite us
Not tear us apart
Let us be able to release ourselves
from our secrets
and allow ourselves
to be
loved
to be
supported
to be
cared for.
Let us not store our secrets away
Let us not fear our secrets
Let us find healing
and
peace
Let us drop the baggage
and begin a new journey
Let us believe in the power
of a
community
of a
sisterhood

Because this..
Is For Colored Girls

Who Have Considered 
Suicide 
When the Rainbow 
Wasn't Enough


There is no way to describe the power of this movie. The messages are available to those who want to listen. This movie isn't just For Colored Girls. It's for all of us, all of us who have struggled, who have scarified, who have made mistakes, who've been beaten down by life, who have been silenced, who have had sex without love, who have ever loved and lost, and those whom are seeking comfort and affection.


The movie is available today on DVD. Though I have no plans on watching it soon, because it put me in a dark emotional stage, its a movie that I have to have in my movie collection. After watching the film, I went out and bought the book, and am excited to read the poems within it.